CLIMATE OF JAMMU AND KASHMIR
join Telegram channel
The climate of Jammu and Kashmir is not alike .It’s more cold in Kashmir and more hotter Jammu .The Kashmir division and jammu division has different climatic conditions
The climatic conditions of Jammu region depend on the geographical division such as
Climate of Jammu
- Plain region lying to the South of Shivaliks
- The mountains regions of Doda, Reasi, Poonch and Rajouri.
Broadly speaking the Jammu division is the humid the mountainous region stretching in the district of Ramban, Udhampur, Kishtwar,subtropical region and variable seasons are seen due to seasonal winds, monsoons and
temperature. The seasons are:-
a. Cold weather or Winter Season (November-February)
b. Hot weather or Summer Season (March – June)
c. Rainy Season (Junc-October)
- Winter Season (November to February): In this season the coldest month is January. From February the temperature begins to rise and the atmosphere becomes pleasant giving start to spring scason.
- Summer Season (March to June): From March onwards there is a abrupt rise in the temperature of Jammu which reaches upto its maximum in the month of May and June and Jammu becomes hottest ranging temperature from 38 degree Celsius to 44 degree Celsius. During this period hot dry winds called ‘loo’ blow which add to the miseries of the people.
- Rainy Season (June end to 15th September): From the middle of June monsoons begin to arrive in Jammu. Monsoon rains bring down the temperature but humidity remains quite high which makes the weather quite oppressive. Average rainfall-during this season is 65 cm.
CLIMATE OF KASHMIR DIVISION
The climate of the Kashmir division has pleasant weather in summers . The temperature substantially
declines in December January is the coldest month known as period of CLIMATE OF JAMMU AND KASHMIR.In winter the sunshine is low and relative humidity remains about 90% for 40 days. Snowfall is maximum in (Doru) South Kashmir and North Kashmir.
SEASONS OF KASHMIR
A) Spring Season (March to Mid May): It is locally known as Sonth. The day temperature Nuctuates between 10 degree Celsius to 20 degree Celsius. The is steady increase in temperature from April to May minimum temperature remains around 3 degree Celsius. In the spring season there
Summer Season (May to September): During summer scason the valley of
Kashmir experiences mean maximum and minimum temperatures which fluctuate between 30 degree Celsius and 18 degree Celsius respectively. The neighbouring hill resorts such as Gulmarg and Pahalgam being at higher altitudes records low
B) Autumn Season (Mid September to October): This son mark of
transition from the warm summer to temperate winters in this season, there is a clear sky.
C) Winter Season ( November – February) : It’s the coldest of all seasons .The temperature goes below zero .
Jammu and Kashmir has how many different climate zones?
The State has been split into four major macro-climatic zones: I, sub-tropical; II, valley temperate; III, intermediate; and IV, cold-arid.
What kind of climate is there in Kashmir?
The average daily maximum temperature of Kashmir, one of India’s coldest locations, is only 30 degrees Celsius. Several months of the year are warm to hot, with average highs consistently over 25 °C and occasionally even 40 °C. June is the ideal month to travel because of the milder weather.
Why is Kashmir so cold all the time?
During “Chilla-i-Kalan,” when a cold wave sweeps the area and the temperature drops sharply, water bodies, including this famed Dal Lake, as well as water supply pipes in various sections of the valley, freeze.
Which word in Kashmiri describes the season?
The six seasons of Kashmir—Shishur, Sonth, Grishm, Vahrat, Harud, and Vandeh—mentioned in Walter R. Lawrence’s book THE VALLEY OF KASHMIR serve as the basis for this calendar. Each of these seasons’ timelines are depicted on the calendar.
What does Kashmir’s Chillai Kalan mean?
The native term for Kashmir’s 40-day, bitterly cold winter is “Chillai Kalan,” which translates to “40 days of severe cold.” Beginning on December 21 and lasting through January 30, it is the coldest portion of winter each year.